Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Total Drek is rated G for... wait, holy fuck, we're rated G?!

Brad Wright, over on his blog, Bradly Wright's Weblog, recently remarked on a little tool that can apply a rating to blogs. Specifically, it applies a "movie style" rating ranging from the family friendly G to the single man friendly NC-17. Brad is rather surprised to discover that his blog is rated NC-17. Always up for a little adventure, I decided to see what my own blog rates. The answer, as it turns out, is somewhat surprising:

Online Dating

Are they even fucking serious? I mean, hell, aside from routine profanity I've blogged about such diverse subjects as penises, boobs, boobs again, attractive women, and boobs. How on earth did I end up with a G rating?

Well, the easiest answer is this: the rating doohickey sucks. In the interest of evaluating it, I decided to try it out on a few interesting sites.

Plain(s)feminist? She rates an NC-17. Evidently a frank discussion of gender issues is "too hot" for most audiences. And I thought that my Sainted Fiancee and I were the only ones who read Adrienne Rich to get in the mood.

Orgtheory.net? That collection of no-good ruffians* apparently warrants an R. This is doubtless for their constant, incessant, prattle about underage organizations and super hot CEO action.

It's slightly reassuring that Playboy.com receives an R rating. It's somewhat less reassuring that Something Awful is rated G.

Reflecting the brilliant logic that gave us such a high teen pregnancy rate, Planned Parenthood receives a PG-13 rating- so, we should prevent kids from learning about safe sex until after they might start having sex, then? Outstanding notion. Here's another idea: let's close the barn door after the horses escape. It's so crazy it just might work!

In any case, I think my point is that this tool needs a little work. And my more important point is this: with all of the very serious issues and problems in the world, can't we find something better to worry about than whether or not a blog uses the word "cockmonger?"

I'm just sayin...

UPDATE: Hey, good news! Thanks to this post, I now rate:

Free Online Dating

Kickass!**


* Meaning, in this case, "smarter people than me."

** And yet, amazingly, I STILL appear have a cleaner blog than Brad Wright. Gotta love that...

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Drek's Soon to be Former Officemate said...

Does this rating tool give any sense at all of how it operates? As a long-time reader of the blog I can't imagine any set of criteria that would suggest the blog should be rated "G".

I mean, unless your set of criteria includes rants about evolution, pirates, science, conservapedia (discussion of which, I would argue, should get you an R rating) and repeated linkage to boobs. Maybe you got extra bonus points for some sort of redeeming educational value? Or maybe it just reads the front page?

We all love the blog for what it is, but...a "G" rating? Man, I'm frightened by the implications of that for the rest of the internet.

Friday, July 06, 2007 1:07:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

Yeah, this "tool" is highly suspect. We just dropped from an R rating to a PG-13. Man, we were just developing some street cred too.

Sunday, July 08, 2007 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

I'm NC-17 and Playboy is R?!

Thursday, July 12, 2007 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Yeah, I thought you were gonna love that one. Apparently it's marginally more accpetable to objectify women than to oppose that objectification.

Friday, July 13, 2007 9:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter