Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Picachu or potpourri or whatever you call it...

Tomorrow I depart for the fabulous excitement of the ASA annual meeting in New York. Several days of panels, papers, hob-nobbing, and even a blogger shindig that I may or may not attend. What can I say? Mystery is part of my thing.

Given my imminent departure, however, I don't have a lot of time to blog so we're just going to have a little of this and that today.

First, please allow me to present what is an in-joke for one of my co-bloggers and his charming wife. Doubtless they will understand why this made me think of them immediately and the rest of you may derive some small amusement from it.



Quite obviously, this picture comes from Something Awful, a site that you would probably enjoy if you like my tasteless rantings.

Secondly, a number of you are aware that my Sainted Fiancee and I will, sooner or later, be married. This implies that at some point in the future we may have children. Needless to say, the thought of my offspring should send shudders down all of your spines, but that's not the point. The point is that we will have to find a way to raise our no doubt unusual children. We're already aware of resources for raising children who understand evolution- there are the Sandwalk Adventures as well as the excellent Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story- but obviously there is more to child rearing than teaching them science. There are also lullabys. My Sainted Fiancee, being a fan of folk music, will doubtless play a large role in determing our musical selections. I, on the other hand, tend towards bands like White Zombie, Metallica, AC/DC, Gravity Kills, and Evanescence.* It goes almost without saying that my musical influence on our children is likely to be held down to almost nothing.

This is why I'm so excited that someone has done the undoable- they have rendered Metallica songs as lullabys. I know, I know: I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't heard it for myself. Classic tunes like "Enter Sandman," "Master of Puppets," and even "One," are now available in soothing child-friendly format. Perfect for the heavy metal father who wants to bond with his children.

And if they're a little hard to mosh to, who the hell cares?

Well, that's it for my useless ramblings for the day. Updates will be sporadic at best until I return from the annual meeting, so I encourage my esteemed co-bloggers to take up as much of the slack as they please.

See you later, kids!


* You can be sure that Bethany Bryson's piece on symbolic exclusion was something of a distressing read for me.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kickapoo.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger S.S.Stone said...

Send us a postcard kid! ;)

Thursday, August 09, 2007 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger TDEC said...

That is the best thing ever. And by the best thing ever I mean the funniest moose-related thing I have seen in a long and rather moose-filled while.

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:24:00 AM  
Blogger Slag said...

There are no words for the unbelievable awesomeness of that sign. I hope to see one in real life someday.

Friday, August 10, 2007 5:51:00 AM  
Blogger maxliving said...

Those metallica lullabies sounded very creepy, perhaps even more so than the originals.

Friday, August 10, 2007 9:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter