Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, August 13, 2007

So I can totally write whatever I want today? Cool!

All the sociologists are away at the American Sociological Association* meeting, listening to Drek present an awesome paper. Since so many of the authors, and readers, of this blog are sociologists, I have the floor pretty much to myself today. So, I can talk about anything I want. Hey, where did everybody go? Is this thing on?

Seriously, I wish everyone who is attending the ASAs a safe, productive, and enjoyable meeting. I'm sort of jealous that you all are there at such an interesting meeting. I considered going, but the meeting location was just a little too far from my secret lair. I'm sure that going as an observer would be very very different from a professional with papers to present and jobs to apply for, so I can't compare to your experience, but I really would like to go to an ASA someday.

I've always had a hobbyist interest in sociology - I think that questions about how human societies are organized are fascinating questions. So I think I'm an interesting test case for the public sociology movement. If sociologists want to get the public interested in their research and how it applies to everyday life, it's a good start to start explaining the discipline, its approaches, and its major discoveries and theories to someone who is already interested. Unfortunately, I never heard of the public sociology movement until I started reading it here on Total Drek.

Why is that? Is it because people are distributing inefficiently, or because the movement never really got off the ground in the first place - or have I just not known where to look? Do you have any ideas?


*Which some might refer to as the American Sociological Society, resulting in a funny acronym. But not me. I would never suggest anything that puerile.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger S.S.Stone said...

Since it was before my time, it was nice you included Dreks post: Deconstructing playing c snakes on a plane: A post modern critique(Sept.7,2006)

It was brilliant!! Seems everyones talking SNAKES these days.

If sociologists are trying to encourage the public to take interest in their research, they need to market, like any new product. I had never given much thought to "sociology" in general, until reading it out here in the blog world...it's been interesting.

Monday, August 13, 2007 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger ΕΡΜΕΣ said...

Researching snakes survey: Are flat snakes or round snakes better?

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter