Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Sociologist Roll Call

Since returning from the blurry excitement of New York, I've realized something: there are a lot of sociologists out there.



Okay, well, I knew that already before going to New York. I've been to the annual meetings before and, frankly, there are a whole bunch of us in this crazy country. Granted, a large number of us are so eccentric it hurts, but that just adds to our charm. I also had something reinforced at the annual meetings: sociologists definitely have a sense of humor. Take, for example, this graffitti that appeared during the conference:



You'll most likely have to click on the image and get a larger version to get the joke, but it's a sign from the Sheraton pointing the way to the "Empire West" room. Amusingly, some enterprising scholar decided to scrawl beneath it "in decline." Well, it's nice to know that there's such rampant optimism about the prospects for the U.S. in the new century. Then again, I've talked to sociologists who are convinced that China is going to be involved in a nuclear World War III in the next several decades prior to its asserting economic control over the planet so, hey, at least we have that to look forward to.

The final odd thing I've been realizing lately is that I don't really know how many sociologists read this blog, but I'm increasingly convinced that there are more than I think. I've been doing this for more than three years now and, for reasons that defy understanding, know that some folks do find my inane ramblings to be interesting or, at the very least, entertaining. I also know after blogging this long that asking one's lurkers to do anything* is more or less pointless. A lot of people prefer to just read blogs without ever commenting or participating in them in a real way. I understand and, really, sympathize. Nevertheless, today I am going to do something foolish and ask my sociologist readers, lurkers or not, to leave me some sort of comment. I don't care what kind of comment. Really. I am just overwhelmed with curiosity about how many of my fellow sociologists actually read this blog. Feel free to comment anonymously. Feel free to just say "yo" and leave it at that, but say something.

What can I say? I'm a curious guy. If you like the blog, if you read it fairly regularly, just consider it a small trivially-easy way to saying "thank you."

Or, if you prefer, a small trivially-easy way to tell me that I should fall in a well and die. Whatever works for you.


* Aside from, you know, lurking.

** As a side note: non-sociologists should also feel free to say "hi," just please let me know that you're a non-sociologist. Why do I really care? No idea. But, hey, if blogging isn't about satisfying one's own egotistical whims, then what is it about?

Labels: , ,

29 Comments:

Blogger Practicing Idealist said...

I read your blog! It's actually the only one I make a point of reading regularly. And, I'm a sociologist.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a sociologist and I read your blog.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Drek's Former Officemate said...

Well, you know that I'm a sociologist and that I read the blog, but might as well comment anyway. If for no other reason than to satisfy your egotistical whim--or to potentially get the ball rolling.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:46:00 PM  
Blogger yli said...

hey drek, yo. (and i'm a sociologist.)

you already know that i read your blog -- i started reading it regularly since asa. i think you write well and i hope more non-sociologists (in addition to sociologists) read it.

i've found that a good way to get a higher response rate from your blog readers is to use a poll. people can just click on an option and do not have to click the comments link, type, select anonymous or scratch their head for a clever handle, etc. etc. i've used polldaddy.com (i copycatted blue monster) which is fairly easy to set up and embed in your post. i think blogger also has poll function now in the side bar.

good luck with the headcount!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more for you. Though you knew this one already too.
~FHR

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ten years ago, I didn't know how to spell sociologist, now I is one. I comment here plenty, so I'm not adding to your head count. You know who I am. But I'm going to screw with you and post this one comment anonymously. Heh heh!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:50:00 PM  
Blogger Aftersox said...

Sociologist.

Blog, yours.

I read.

Hello.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:16:00 PM  
Blogger anomie said...

I'm a sociologist! I read your blog!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:42:00 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

I have a degree in sociology + they let me teach the stuff + I read your blog.

=

I must be a sociologist.

Oh, and "yo".

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger tina said...

Hello. My name is Tina. (Hello, Tina!) And I'm a sociologist.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger Sassafras said...

Hello. I've been reading your blog for a couple months now. I suppose I can call myself a sociologist, though it feels a little weird to say that. I am a very new graduate student in sociology.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger S.S.Stone said...

I read your blog commenting often as you already know, so I'm not one of the "read & leave" people. I viewed your site meter and with that kind of traffic I'm surprised more people don't comment.
I am NOT a "Sociologist", I AM a Canadian! *smile* I had to say that since it appears sociologists are living in their own world. ..people thought that true of artists but some of us have crossed over to "the other side" ;)

Similar to my morning addiction to coffee, I'm becoming addicted to Drek..only difference is, my coffee maker is on a 5 AM timer.

Now if I turn out to be the only Canadian non-sociologist reading your blog I'm going to have to seek some professional help!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:38:00 PM  
Blogger Brayden said...

Yo!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger ΕΡΜΕΣ said...

i heard sociologists are gay.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger Lim Leng Hiong said...

*de-lurking*

Heh heh. I'm not a sociologist.

Just an evil lurker.

Watch me slip back into the shadows!

*re-lurking*

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:20:00 PM  
Blogger Slag said...

Yo.

I am not a sociologist, but I read your blog and occasionally write stuff.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:04:00 AM  
Blogger TDEC said...

Hullo.
Faithful reader for reasons unfathomable, and not a sociologist by any stretch of the imagination.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 6:16:00 AM  
Blogger monsoon said...

I read your blog and I am a budding sociologist.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Thanks for the feedback, folks. This is actually really interesting and a little frightening.

Like all good blog comments, I suppose.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:36:00 PM  
Blogger S.S.Stone said...

Frightening?
I'm just glad I don't need professional help -appears I'm not the only non-soci person reading your blog!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read most of your ramblings, if only to keep up with the hijinks.

FHRF = Former Hypothetical Roommate's Fiance (which is shorter than "former hypothetical roommate's reason for being hypothetical and former")

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Persson said...

“The work of an intellectual is not to mould the political will of others; it is, through the analyses that he does in his own field, to re-examine evidence and assumptions, to shake up habitual ways of working and thinking, to dissipate conventional familiarities, to re-evaluate rules and institutions and to participate in the formation of a political will (where he has his role as citizen to play).”

Who said this?

Anyway it's hard to get sociologists to talk because we are natural observers.

Saturday, September 01, 2007 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Persson: That would be Michel Foucault.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Andrew said...

Uh, this reply is a little late, but I come by to read and catch up. Your stuff is great!

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 3:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stumbled across your blog...I'm a sociologist.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous LS from Austin, TX said...

Nascent sociologist, applying to grad schools this year. I did do a long undergrad thesis on Habermas and Adbusters, however, so I might argue that I have a bit more than the average bear's claim to sociohood ;)

Just found your blog today as I was looking for sage advice on the grad experience. Found a bit of that and a lot of other fun stuff too! I will likely keep reading in spite of my non-blogger status.

Cheers!

Thursday, September 06, 2007 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger plain(s)feminist said...

I'm actually NOT a sociologist, but everyone thinks I am. Go, interdisciplinary degree.

Friday, September 07, 2007 7:43:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Gibbon said...

Count me in, too. While I've been by the site before, I can't believe I haven't subscribed to your site until now! You're an incredible writer.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 1:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Disenchanted Grad Student said...

Yo Drek,

I'm working on earning the right to call myself a sociologist--currently wrapping up my MA before trudging onward.

I'm a TD fan, but obviously don't read the blog compulsively . . . pretty much check in once every 3 months or so. (I started reading around the time that Jim Pass contacted all ASA members to share his excitement re: astro sociology. What fun that was.)

Right now, I'm supposed to be working on a lit. review, so I'm looking for distractions. (Lousy grad student.)

Best to you and your Sainted Fiancee,

Another Lurker

Friday, October 05, 2007 9:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter