Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Just when I think I'm used to it...

I am once more amazed at how hateful the kids over on Conservapedia can be. Two particular instances of this general trend are of interest at the moment. The lesser of the two is their headline about Richard Dawkins:



For those who don't want to read, allow me to transcribe:

Richard Dawkins is leaving his Charles Simonyi "post" at Oxford without ever becoming the "Charles Simonyi Professor" that Dawkins claims on his own resume. There now is an outpouring of the atheistic substitute for love for him, and Dawkins deftly declines one request by a fan to continue calling him "professor".


Leaving aside the bit about whether or not Dawkins is a professor* I have to say I think the whole "...atheistic substitute for love" bit is just plain vicious. As crazy as the Conservapeons make me, I have never accused them of being goat-raping baby eaters or of being incapable of love. They, on the other hand, routinely do that and more to atheists. Which of us all, then, seems to have the greater capacity for tolerance and love?

I'm just sayin.

The more horrid of my recent discoveries on Conservapedia comes from the page on Barack Obama and includes a sentence in the summary section that I think might interest you:



For those who don't want to read, the infamous sentence, referring to candidate Obama, is:

He has no clear personal achievement that cannot be explained as the likely result of affirmative action.


Just fucking awesome. I mean, I could really point out that Andrew Schlafly has no personal achievement that cannot be explained as the likely result of having been born from a raging lunatic, but generally speaking I don't engage in that sort of ad hominem.

I can do nothing but shake my head in amazement.


* Basically, they contend that because Dawkins is not presently in a tenure-track academic position he does not warrant the title "professor." Those of us in academia, on the other hand, are well aware that tenure track is not necessary to being referred to as a professor. Beyond that, I have no detailed knowledge of the intricacies of Dawkins' posting.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Unbearded Man said...

Great post. I'm just utterly fascinated by conservapedia, and had no idea that it was created by the spawn of Phylis Sclafly. Now I'm even more fascinated, it that was at all possible.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter