Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Taking a break from all my worries...

Last week was kind of a downer- posts about bigots, posts about fools, posts about bigotted fools, and even a post about a crazed gunman. It wasn't a good week for Totak Drek or the world in general. So, today, I've decided to talk about something a little lighter.

More than that, today I'm briefly talking about something that only a handful of y'all are likely to enjoy. I'm sure most of you, by now, realize that I'm a science fiction fan. In recent times I, like many others, have become familiar with concepts like the singularity and transhumanism, but like many others I was raised on the older strain of sci-fi. I particularly refer to works by Robert Heinlein and his contemporaries- books and stories that depicted humans pushing outwards into space with little more than a hope, a prayer, and a circular sliderule. This was sci-fi in the old form, when computers were the size of small rooms and the answer to every problem had the word "atomic" in it somewhere. It was a more innocent kind of sci-fi, and I miss it dearly sometimes.

Fortunately for me, my longing for the classic days of science fiction has recently been soothed by a peculiar website. Ever wondered how much of those classic tales really made sense? Ever wanted to see an in-depth analysis of various types of drives for space travel? Well, friends, look no farther than Atomic Rocket, the website that answers all your questions about space travel in excruciating detail. That said, however, the technical analysis is mixed in with excerpts from relevant books and short stories and everything includes a good dose of humor. Particularly, I recommend the section on common misconceptions, covering topics like stealth in space and the need to keep cool. Awesome stuff for the novice and amateur expert alike, and all very well researched.

So, head on over and take a look. I know that Tom, at least, will be interested, but the rest of you lot would benefit from the experience. As for me, I'll just be slaving away here and tomorrow will (most likely) be helping my wife with some of her work, so you'd best make Atomic Rocket last for two days if you know what I mean.

And I think you do.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

Hey, and I thought I was lazy for not blogging. Cool link, anyway.

BTW, here's some eye candy for you, if you haven't seen it.

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:39:00 PM  
Blogger TDEC said...

Such humourous exactitude. Slag will appreciate this especially I'm sure.
Man, I almost won a signed copy of The Singularity Is Near for Slag a few weeks ago. I'm so disappointed. Who knew there were more than twelve people who want Ray Kurzweil's signature?

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter