Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Not the reason I expected.

When I started blogging many, many moons ago I had no idea how long I might stick with it. I figured I might try it for a while and then decide it was too much work, that my readers were assholes, or just get bored and wander off. As it happens, none of these took place. While blogging is too much work for the payoff* most of my readers seem to be interesting folks and so far I have not gotten bored. Tired? Yes. Lazy? Sometimes. Bored? Never. So, for better or for worse, this blog has staggered drunkenly onwards for years.

Alas, I recently became aware of something that may spell the doom of Total Drek once and for all. Courtesy of Brad Wright I have become aware of a website that can supposedly estimate the worth of your blog. As in, tell you how many dollars your blog would go for on the open market. Brad reports that my blog is worth a considerable sum but, just to be safe, I decided to go for a second opinion. That opinion was, in a word, shocking:



Yes folks, that's right: my blog is worth in excess of thirty-seven million dollars! Holy shit! I should charge admission!** Doubtless my shareholders will be excited by this revelation but I find that I am somewhat melancholy at the news. Why? Simply this: if the IRS gets wind of this, I am screwed. I mean, seriously, the capital gains tax on something that I "bought" when it was worth zero dollars and now have valued at over thirty-seven million will be a tad... harsh. And by "harsh" I mean "a tax bill in excess of my earnings for the past decade."

Of all the things I expected this blog to become, my financial ruin was not among them.***


* That payoff being little more than the pleasure of blogging. Okay, really, I've also come to know some really awesome people which HAS made the whole thing worth it, but still...

** It goes without saying that nobody could possibly be willing to PAY for this crap.

*** I suppose it's possible that this valuation is a result of the increasingly weak dollar. If that's the case, however, I expect that a loaf of bread probably costs ten or twenty thousand dollars by now. Yay.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

OpenID mybackstage said...

I'm only worth $500. Should I be depressed?

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:23:00 PM  
Blogger Marf said...

Well get this, it says my blog is worth $41,447,628. It was valued around $30 mill before it even existed, according to their graph.

I've seen these websites that assign a value to a blog/website. I don't know what universe they base their pricing on, but something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it in this universe.

It might be pricing the blogspot domain, as our blogs are simply sub-domains of it. Since you don't own the entire blogspot domain (Google does), I don't think you have to worry about being taxed for it.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 4:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter