Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, May 23, 2008

I totally want this shirt.

Fans of science and webcomics will doubtless love this recent t-shirt offering from the outstanding Dresden Codak:



For the curious the t-shirt references this comic* but I love it because it reminds me of my childhood. I discovered science- and science fiction- at an absurdly young age and it showed in my behavior. My father, an engineer, routinely brought broken electronic devices home for me to play with. I was fascinated with exploring how their mechanical and electrical components worked together.

As I got older I moved into more ambitious projects, such as trying to graft different kinds of plants together. These efforts were notably unsuccessful, but once saw me strolling through the house carrying gardening shears, paper towels, liquid fertilizer, and twine. My mother, ever alert for hijinks, stopped to ask me what I was up to. I responded- in perfect seriousness- that I was attempting to splice impatiens with periwinkles. After a moment of hesitation her response was, and I quote: "Carry on."

Finally, in my perhaps crowning moment, I once asked my father to explain quantum mechanics to me while we were doing yardwork. Specifically, I found the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and Schrodinger's Cat rather confusing and was hoping for clarification. I don't recall my age, but it was much too early for me to have any inkling that quantum mechanics even existed. Needless to say, I drove my parents utterly fucking nuts.

So, I think I just look at that shirt and think, "Wow. That was me as a kid." As a child I was ever looking at things and dreaming of the day when I could do real science to them. And you know what? Now I get to do that sort of shit for a living.

Goddamn I love my job.


* As a side note, if you want to try to read the comic I suggest going to the beginning and starting from there. It can be rather abstract and deals with themes like posthumanism and the technological singularity. Thus, in addition to being artistically beautiful, it is incredibly intelligent.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dan Hirschman said...

You should pair it with this awesome xkcd offering:
Stand Back, I'm Going to Try Science!

Friday, May 23, 2008 10:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter