Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Total Drek is experiencing technical difficulties.

Or, to be more specific, my parents have been in town and sucking up all of my free time. Normal blogging to resume (hopefully) tomorrow.

In the meantime, check out this vandalism of a banner hung by the University of Alberta Atheists and Agnostics:



Ian Bushfield, president of the group, refers to the vandalism as "hate-fuelled" implying that this was a hate crime. The Friendly Atheist, in turn, asks if showing love can be a hate crime. The argument, obviously, is that the Christians who defaced this banner* did so in an effort to save souls- from their perspective a loving thing. So does this fit the bill as a hate crime? Well, in the first place, I don't think I would call it such if only because I think it cheapens the term and, in the second place, hate crime legislation is fair to middlin stupid in my view anyway. At the same time, however, I think brushing it off as an act of "love" is probably a tad excessive. And you know what? I think a lot of Christians agree with me. Remember this little gem?



And.... how did people react?

It looked harmless enough, but the words on a billboard unnerved so many people that a popular restaurant nearby actually lost business. The billboard was on Colonial Drive near Old Cheney Highway.

Although the popular Straub's Seafood restaurant often advertises on it, it wasn't their billboard. The sign was taken down after Channel 9 started asking questions.

The billboard came down around 4:00 Friday afternoon and nearby business owners are relieved. Straub's Restaurant can replace the sign with the night's specials.

At first glance, the sign looked like a children's cartoon, but the message next to the fairy princess stirred emotions.

"When you condemn all religions and say they are a fairytale, that is wrong," said Rich Stormes, a nearby business owner.


I mean, hey, from a certain point of view** mentioning to people that they believe in nonsense is a sign of love. You love them so much, you try to help them see the error of their ways. What isn't loving about that?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, folks.


* I should point out that the perpetrators remain unknown, so it may not be that Christians are to blame.

** I don't actually think it's ever a sign of love to go out of your way to tell others how they should live their lives. As such, I find evangelism of virtually all stripes distasteful. So, in short, I'm not advocating this position, but I am saying that if you as a religious person objected to the billboard, you should probably also object to the vandalism.***

*** As it also happens, the billboard company claims someone put the fairytale advertisement up illegally in the middle of the night, thus making both incidents vandalism. Amusingly, however, the anti-religionists put a helluva lot more time, money, and thought into their vandalism and did not deface the claims of their "rivals" in the process. I'm just sayin.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only recently found your site and have found myself returning again and again. I couldn't concentrate on this entry because I thought your comment about your parents sucking up all your time was pathetic.
Maybe I just don't understand. Did they insist on being entertained? Keep you up late with mindless conversation?
I'm probably just sensitive since I no longer have my parents to pay me a visit.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Drek said...

Well, I think you're reading an awful lot into my remark. I love my parents a great deal and was very happy to see them. Indeed, I live quite a long way from any family and rarely get a chance to spend time with them. My point was that I was absent from blogging because my parents were absorbing my free time- not against my will but, frankly, because spending time with them is more important to me than blogging. If my explanation for that was somewhat flippant... well... I mean, hell, have you even read this blog before? I rarely make a big hairy deal out of my personal life if only because I figure it isn't interesting to others or, indeed, any of their business. And that goes for you as well.

I am sorry that you have lost your parents, however.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter