Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Oh, if only.

The Scene: Drek, having finished teaching class for the day, is chatting with one of his students.

Student: So things are starting to wind down now.

Drek: Yep. I think we're all pretty tired, so a break will be good.

Student: Right on. I've got an eighteen page paper due tomorrow. I'm on page four right now.

Drek: Yikes! Is that single spaced or double spaced?

Student: Wow, like, double spaced! Jeez! Single spaced would be huge. That'd be like a dissertation, right?

Drek: (laughs) Well, a dissertation is usually a bit longer than that.

Student: Right, right, yeah I know. A dissertation is like, what, fifty pages?

Drek: ...

Drek: Yeah. Something like that.

Student: You're writing your dissertation- how long is yours?

Drek: I think my first chapter is fifty pages.

Student: Oh. Wow.

Drek: Indeed.


And you thought I was a wordy bastard on the blog. I pity my committee.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mister Troll said...

Yeah, but fifty pages double-spaced, right? :-)

I believe my Mrs.'s department has a 350-page limit. I've heard the students gnash their teeth at such unfairness.

I just checked my own thesis: a mere 130 pages, (single-spaced--appendices extra). One can hardly believe they even awarded me a degree for that.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

Mine was around 100 minus a data-listing appendix, and I sometimes feel like Mister Troll but then remember that some moderately advanced mathematics was involved.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Notorious Ph.D. said...

Holy crap, that's hilarious.

Then again, I'm in the Humanities, where a 350-page limit often does chafe (I write short, so no prob). Perhaps the student was in mathematics?

Also, I remember being an undergraduate for whom a 10-page paper seemed an impossible length. So when they say "50 pages", I know they're sufficiently impressed.

Still: yeesh.

(for the record, my Humanities diss weighed in at about 250 pages, and that was including footnotes in which I reproduced large portions of the unpublished documents I was referencing in the text)

Sunday, December 07, 2008 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter