Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, February 06, 2009

In case you haven't heard...

For those who haven't heard already, efforts are underweigh to eliminate spending for science in the current bailout bill. And the cuts are, in a word, dramatic:

NSF 100% cut ($1,402,000,000)
NASA exploration 50% cut ($750,000,000)
NOAA 34.94% cut ($427,000,000)
NIST 37.91% cut ($218,000,000)
DOE energy efficiency & renewable energy 38% cut ($1,000,000,000)
DOE office of science 100% cut ($100,000,000)


I especially love the cuts to programs meant to encourage the development of energy efficiency and renewable energy. Yeah, because spending $1 billion on that now won't, you know, pay off massively in the future when we don't need to remain involved in middle east politics.

Not that I, Drek, would ever encourage political action- generally I appear content to sit around and bitch about things while my mild mannered alter ego does all the political agitating- but if you're curious you can find a list of senators here.

You know what to do.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Arieh said...

I want to respond to this. I want to sound eloquent and witty. I want to express my frustration with this sort of idiocy in the highest tradition of reason and philosophy.

The only thing that I can come up with though, is:
BLARGHBLARGHBLARGHBLARGHBLARGH!

... and I want to drop a few f-bombs.

Friday, February 06, 2009 5:37:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Bozzo said...

I totally agree that these cuts are stupid, but to be clear, they're cuts in the bailout money relative to H.R. 1 (the House bailout bill), not zeroing NSF funding (etc.).

Saturday, February 07, 2009 6:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter