Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yes, yes, I heard.

So are you looking for a way to respond to the bad news? Then try this, a petition in favor of extending marriage rights to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender couples. The text reads:

I do support the right of every American to marry, including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender couples. I believe that marriage and other civil rights protections are essential to making all families safer and more secure.

By signing this petition, I agree to support efforts to make marriage equality a reality in our country, and to oppose any attempts to discriminate against LGBT couples and individuals.


And then, having done that, keep an eye on your local Congressperson and Senator. I'd like to see our legislators supporting real family values for a change.


As a side note: I'm not a constitutional scholar and won't weigh in on whether or not I think the overall ruling was good. I will observe that the ruling is based less on a distinction between homosexuals and others and more on the issue of whether Prop. 8 was valid. So, the case was over procedure, not substance. That said, I do commend the court for its ruling that homosexual marriages that were begun during the period of legality ARE still legitimate.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter