Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, June 05, 2009

OMG! New Star Trek movie pirated on YouTube!!1!



Okay, so this isn't the new Star Trek movie.* Still, as someone who watched every episode of the original series multiple times, it makes me laugh a whole lot. I recall in particular an episode in which a yeoman- in the go-go dancer outfits approved for female crew in Star Trek- breaks down crying. Why is she crying, you ask? Because she and several other crew are dying from a disease that causes unsightly skin lesions and now Captain Kirk** will never notice her legs. Seriously. The episode actually ends with Kirk making a show out of leering at her gams while on the bridge. Ah, an "enlightened" future where men are men, women are women, and sexual harassment isn't just accepted, it's expected!

Anyway, this past week has been a downer blog-wise, so I thought we all deserved a break. Also, there are boobs.


* As an unrelated side note, I appear to be one of the unfortunate handful of people who think the new Star Trek movie is incomprehensible crap. Sorry, Slag and TDEC! The acting is fun and the visual effects are neat. The re-imagining is even pretty cool. I just can't handle the gigantic plot holes.

** You know. William Shatner.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if I liked the movie or not. For me it was almost a caricature of the original, especially when they tried to work in the old catchphrases. Overall, I’d give it a single badger. But unlike you, I can get past the physics. ~FHR

Friday, June 05, 2009 5:43:00 PM  
Blogger Warbler said...

I’m in complete agreement with you about the plot holes, but my main problem was the social psychology of it. It seemed ludicrous that “new” Kirk could have grown up without “old Kirk’s” father (clearly a strong personality and a role model to him, as well as likely a network aid) and ended up in PRECISELY THE SAME social location -- even have the same solution to the kobayasi maru (though he was much more a dick about it than I had imagined). And I wondered if it was Star Fleet’s practice to hand the keys to the newest starship to every academy graduating class. “Bye kids! Have fun exploring the universe!”

Sunday, June 07, 2009 8:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter