Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Loopholes.

I don't really watch t.v. anymore, since my wife and I don't have a t.v. capable of pulling in digital signals, and for the most part don't miss it. I do, however, sometimes find myself looking at movie trailers online since I have a peculiar weakness for good* film. Recently, during my occasional forays in search of movie trailers I ran across something that set me to thinking:



So basically this movie is the story of the Christian god getting ready to go all old testament on us... again. I say again because the Christian god is, among other things, a genocidal freak who has bombed entire cities into the ground for sinning and, indeed, wiped out nearly the entire world in a great flood. On the plus side, after the flood god promised never to wipe out mankind again... using water. Seriously, he leaves himself a loophole:

Genesis 9:11: I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be cut off by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.


Obviously, then, this upcoming movie is taking god at his word and assuming that the next time god tries to exterminate us to the last man, woman, and child he'll use something else. And it really seems like he's not fucking around this time since he's sending an army of supernatural creatures to fuck us up but good.

Now, I am intrigued by this movie for a number of reasons. First, for the simple reason that it places god in the role of antagonist, which is pretty rare in movies. To the extent that god is even a "character" in films he's generally on our side and it's the devil or other evil forces that are being fought. So this represents an interesting twist. Secondly, I think the theological conundrum of this movie is, to say the least, amusing. God decides to destroy mankind so he sends his angels to kill the woman who is going to be the mother of Jesus who is, among other things, God. Another angel defies God to go protect God from the angels sent by God. So, basically, God is fighting himself and, really, the whole thing just seems like a terrible waste of manangelpower. Third, I think it's kinda amusing that a godman cartoon** pretty much got it spot-on:



Finally, however, I am just really looking forward to seeing how the wider Christian community reacts to this film. On the one hand, it certainly paints god in a light that is unforgiving and unloving. On the other hand, that's pretty much entirely consistent with his past behavior and- depending on your interpretation of revelations- with his stated future intentions as well. It's one thing to recognize intellectually the murderous tantrums that the god of the bible goes on from time to time, but it's a little jarring to see one depicted in a more modern setting. And, so, the rhetoric should be interesting.

As for me, I'm just trying to figure out how it makes sense that mankind, having been cursed for being sinful, gets to try to save itself through the use of a whole lot of firearms and explosives. God works in mysterious ways, I guess.


* Note, of course, that I don't mean "good" in the sense of subtitled Cannes award winners. Seriously, people, Evil Dead 2 is one of my favorite films- you do the math.

** Via tom the dancing bug. Go read it!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Practicing Idealist said...

I think watching 5:12 minutes of "Legion" in the preview was about as much as I can take. I was amused that the angel said "F**k," though. It swore, but it didn't take god's name in vain, I guess.

Monday, August 24, 2009 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter