Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Sometimes it's about how you answer more than what you answer

So the fall semester is starting and, like many grad students, I'm preparing to teach. Specifically, I'm responsible for a discussion section this semester (among other things) and one of my students e-mailed me recently to ask:

Are we meeting on the first assigned discussion section day? Because the first lecture section doesn't meet until the following week.


The question was no surprise to me since the discussion section in question meets in the morning and a lot of undergrads won't roll out of bed before eleven unless there's a specific reason to do so. So, in other words, the question was really, "Do I have to get up early, or can I sleep?" Now being a responsible kind of guy I responded to this e-mail:

Hi! No, we won't be having discussion section until after the first lecture section. Syllabi will be handed out to anyone who comes to the discussion section, but there will be no coursework.


However, you should note that I said "responsible" rather than "nice" because I sent the aforementioned e-mail at about 8:00 AM the day of the discussion section. Mean? Heartless? Evil?

That's just the way I roll, baby.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter