Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Love in the time of H1N1: Part Two*

The Scene: Drek is hanging out in his kitchen reading when his wife enters the room, fresh from a telephone conversation with her mother.


Drek: Hey! How's your mom?

Drek's Wife: Okay... I guess.

Drek: What does that mean?

Drek's Wife: Well, she told me she's really glad we're not trying to get pregnant right now.

Drek: ...

Drek: Um... okay?

Drek's Wife: Apparently the group most at risk during the 1918 Pandemic Flu were pregnant women.

Drek: Ah. So she's glad you're not going to be pregnant because she's worried about swine flu?

Drek's Wife: Right. She said she'd be really upset if I got swine flu.

Drek: I can certainly understand that.

Drek's Wife: Then she said that if I died from swine flu, she doesn't know what she would do.

Drek: I know she probably didn't mean it this way, but did it sound the way that I think it-

Drek's Wife: Yes.

Drek: So, basically, your mom has entered into a unilateral suicide pact with you?

Drek's Wife: Pretty much.

Drek: No pressure.


* For anyone who is curious, part one (which was not penned by me) is available here.

As a side note: No, I don't think my mother-in-law really meant it that way. Nevertheless, the whole conversation struck my wife (and myself for that matter) as just ever so slighly creepy.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous MissAnthropy said...

As creepy as your mother-in-law's unintentional pact is... my mother would have done it intentionally. In fact, she reminds me of this on a semi-regular basis.

No pressure? Right.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 9:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter