Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, January 25, 2010

See this? This is why.

As most of you realize I am something of an opponent of pseudo-science. My reasons for this are legion but the core of my opposition is this: good information helps lead to good decisions, bad information... not so much. And in perfect honesty I can be a little pointed about this kind of thing, which sometimes gets me in trouble. The reality, though, is that at the end of the day I have a hard time feeling bad about it because, frankly, the harm that can be caused by bullshit science is just amazing. And if you don't believe me, watch this video, describing a "highly advanced" method for identifying explosive devices in Iraq:



Yes, that's correct: they're finding explosives by dowsing. Actually, let me rephrase that: they're not finding explosives by dowsing because dowsing doesn't f-ing work. McCormick has since been arrested on suspicion of fraud, but the problem isn't with him so much as with attitudes that allow unsupported and, indeed, consistently invalidated nonsense to thrive. And while people have the right to make up their own minds- even about wacky shit like this- I just think it's a tragedy any time ignorance acquires a body count.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter