Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Is this truly the world that I live in?

We all knew that the horrific BP oil spill* was going to get blamed on Obama. What we may not have known was exactly how far some folks would go in that regard:

Republican congressional candidate William "Bill" Randall is suggesting that the Obama administration and BP conspired to intentionally spill oil in the Gulf, resulting in 11 deaths and the worst environmental disaster in the nation's history.

Randall, who has aligned himself with the tea party movement, readily acknowledges that he has no evidence that what he says is true. But that is not stopping him from making the claim as he campaigns in the June 22 GOP runoff to face incumbent Democratic Rep. Brad Miller on the November ballot.


Say what, now? BP and Obama conspired to... what? Destroy the gulf coast? Why the fuck would they do that? Is there a compelling argument here that I'm not seeing?

"Now, I'm not necessarily a conspiracy person, but I don't think enough investigation has been done on this," Randall said at a media conference on Tuesday. "Someone needs to be digging into that situation. Personally, and this is purely speculative on my part and not based on any fact, but personally I feel there is a possibility that there was some sort of collusion. I don't know how or why, but in that situation, if you have someone from a company violating a safety process and the government signing off on it, excuse me, maybe they wanted it to leak.

"But then it got beyond what was anticipated, and we had an explosion and loss of life. And, oh man, then we have panic. Is there a cover up going on? I'm not saying there necessarily is. But I think there's enough facts on the table for people that (they) really need to do some investigative research and find out what went on with that and get a subpoena of records and everything else."


How the hell can you not love that? "Now, I'm not really a conspiracy person, but I think that Majestic-12 and the Men in Black are conspiring to cover up evidence that Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster are alien Masons that abduct people and anal probe cows." Generally speaking, if someone starts a sentence with "I'm not really a conspiracy person..." the very next thing out of their mouth is going to be the craziest goddamn conspiracy you've ever heard. But, yet again, I'm forced to ask- is there a compelling argument here somewhere?

Pressed on what possible motivation the federal government and BP would have to purposely spill oil, Randall said he had no idea but reiterated that the issue needed to be the subject of investigation.


Right-o. He has no evidence, no basis for suspicion and no motive. But, hey, he can point a finger, so that's enough! Just... goddamn.


* Some of you might be wondering why I haven't really been covering the gulf oil spill. Aside from the fact that it's such enormous news that my help is not really required, there's the simple fact that I am actually from Florida. My rage and frustration at the situation goes beyond my ability with words. I literally CANNOT talk about this subject without completely losing it. So just keep that in mind.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter