Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Deep Thoughts with Drek the Uninteresting

I wake up a lot at night. It's because I get to thinking about something in my sleep and it drags me back to wakefulness. I usually just lie there, staring at the swirling darkness, and listen to my wife breathe. And then, in the still depths between bright spans of activity- plunging through the hour of the wolf- it really hits me:

An encyclopedia is a really stupid idea. I mean, seriously? A book that contains an entry on everything? What the hell?






As a side note, I should probably add that I agree that Wikipedia is not as stupid a notion as a traditional encyclopedia and, likewise, that in a bygone year encyclopedias made more sense. Even so, however, a book that fails at breadth and depth simultaneously leaves something to be desired.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Marf said...

But Wikipedia is a stupid idea. It's such a stupid idea, no one thought it up. "Let's make an online encyclopedia that anyone can change at any time for any reason." Yeah, that will work...

The creator of Wikipedia wanted to pay professionals to write articles. It was to be a traditional encyclopedia that was freely available online. It was basically the suggestion box that turned into the Wiki it is now.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter