Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

It's here, and it's everything you could have wanted.

So, at the conclusion of my recent series on Left Behind I asked for suggestions for the next installment of Drek's Book Club. After a fair amount of discussion, and a key veto by my lovely wife, the decision was made to go with Glenn Beck's "novel" The Overton Window. I'll admit, a substantial part of that decision was the offer by one loyal reader to purchase a copy of the damned thing for me. That said, I have no reason to feel guilty, since I've been doing this blog for free for f-ing years. In any case, it seems that Jonas is as good as his word because at the recent ASA annual meeting I received a package via one of my nefarious associates. And there was a note attached to it, too:



But what did the note say? I admit, I was shocked and amazed when I saw what it contained:



For the picture-clicking challenged, the text reads:

To be forwarded to a certain blogger of uncommon bravery and wit, with my compliments.

Sincerest thanks,
Jonas


It's hard to argue with that, because if there is a distribution of wit and bravery, I am definitely uncommonly far out in the left tail.* And, as I'm sure you've already guessed, my next book curse was contained inside this cheerfully wrapped package:



Now, you all have a bit yet before I start blogging this particular gem, since I want to read the thing all the way through before starting a report. But, yes, I have begun my journey through it and, yes, I have formed an initial opinion. What is that opinion? Well, let's just say that from time to time I think I might long for the days when I was reading Left Behind.

Yeah.

So thanks, Jonas, and stay tuned folks! The next book from hell is on the way!


* Zing! I admit, I have a weakness for statistics jokes.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mister Troll said...

Oh, it's Glenn Beck. OK, this could be entertaining. I'm almost psyched now!

I originally thought it was the "Overton Widow" and assumed maybe it was some 19th century literature. I dunno, Turn of the Screw type stuff or something.

This looks much more "interesting".

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 9:12:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

Oh, don't worry. The screw will be turning as it were soon enough.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 1:48:00 PM  
Blogger scripto said...

To be forwarded to a certain blogger of uncommon bravery and wit, with my compliments.

Sincerest thanks,
Jonas


So who was supposed to get it?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:16:00 PM  
OpenID sassafrasjunction said...

Re: the Screw -- ZING!

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 4:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Jonas Wisser said...

Wow. Does it really say "A Thriller" in small text at the bottom? Somehow I missed that.

Related: Glenn Beck as Michael Jackson in Thriller is just about the worst thing I can imagine.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 6:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter