Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

A quick tip for my fellow sociology instructors out there.

Some of you may be trying to find a way to make your students think about the concept of white/male/straight privilege. Indeed, despite my somewhat troubled view of this concept, it's a useful way to make students consider all the ways they may benefit from their race, or sex, or sexuality, rather than simply the way others are punished for a difference therein. But how to get the idea across to the students who should hear it without turning them off?

It's a hard call but, fortunately, John Scalzi has an answer in the form of his essay Things I Don't Have to Think About Today, and you might want to give it a look:

Today I don’t have to think about if it’s safe to hold my beloved’s hand.

Today I don’t have to think about whether I’m being pulled over for anything other than speeding.

Today I don’t have to think about being classified as one of “those people.”

Today I don’t have to think about making less than someone else for the same job at the same place.

Today I don’t have to think about the people who stare, or the people who pretend I don’t exist.

Today I don’t have to think about managing pain that never goes away.

Today I don’t have to think about whether a stranger’s opinion of me would change if I showed them a picture of who I love.

Today I don’t have to think about the chance a store salesmen will ignore me to help someone else.

Today I don’t have to think about the people who’d consider torching my house of prayer a patriotic act.

Today I don’t have to think about a pharmacist telling me his conscience keeps him from filling my prescription.

Today I don’t have to think about being asked if I’m bleeding when I’m just having a bad day.


Good stuff and moving stuff- just keep reading til the end. It's worth it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter