Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Shame of a nation.

So, Christine O'Donnell recently released a campaign ad that can only be described as "unusual":



Now, here's the thing: I titled this post, "shame of a nation," but I'm not referring to Ms. O'Donnell with that. No, in actuality what I'm referring to is the electorate. Because, and maybe I'm a bit crazy here, when a major political candidate thinks that in order to get elected she has to reassure the population that she is not, in fact, in league with the devil?* Yeah, I think that calls for a little embarrassment from all of us.

I'm Drek the Uninteresting, and I believe that Christine O'Donnell is not a witch, because witches don't freaking exist.**

Also, as long as we're on the subject: "I'm not a witch. I'm you"? What the hell is that? You know what, Christine? You're not me! Know how I know? Because I'm me! You're you, and I'm me, and let's just keep that clear, okay?


* Note that I am using the definition of "Witch" that O'Donnell is thinking of. I do not mean to imply that Wiccans are Satan's handmaidens. Hell, people, I don't even believe in Satan- how would that shit even work?

** I do, of course, believe in practitioners of Wicca but, again, not really what we're talking about here.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger scripto said...

She's not you - she's me. She told me so.

Monday, October 18, 2010 2:39:00 PM  
OpenID natrand01 said...

HaHa! Yes, in your own way, you put it right.. Witches (the kind that O'Donnell was talking about) don't exist! However, doesn't this entire affair demonstrate that they actually do in the minds of many ignorant Americans? I am a Wiccan Priestess. I tend to avoid the word Witch for that very reason. Its all so confusing...sometimes its better to just sit back with a beverage and watch the chaos!

Monday, October 18, 2010 4:50:00 PM  
OpenID sassafrasjunction said...

Maybe it was timed especially for Halloween?

Bill Mahr made an excellent point last night saying that the polls indicate O'Donnell, Palin, et al to be mostly popular with white, middle-aged dudes. He suggested that these idiot women are somehow reassuring to men who feel otherwise threatened by a world where their traditional power base is drying up. Idiot house-wifey women, however, make them think of simpler times -- when you could beat the slaves and fuck your wife like you paid for it. Ah, the good ol' days.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter