Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Monday, November 22, 2010

The similarity- it's uncanny!

So recently, as is distressingly common, I found myself thinking about Paris Hilton.* For those of you who don't know, Paris Hilton is the great-granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, who founded the Hilton chain of hotels. Now, seeing as how I was thinking about Paris, I decided to check out her Wikipedia page and noticed the following:



Or, to quote more directly:

She is an example of the modern phenomenon of the 'celebutante', the celebrity who rises to fame not because of their talent or work but because of their wealth and controversial lifestyle.


In the case of Paris Hilton part of that "lifestyle" involved the a sex tape humorously named 1 Night in Paris that particularly helped her garner media attention. And somehow... I don't know... I just felt like this sounded familiar. As you might guess, this bothered me quite a lot until one day, when talking to my charming and very talented wife, it suddenly hit me: the "celebutante" thing seems familiar because it is. Specifically, there is another example of a celebutante that is eerily similar. I refer, of course, to Bristol Palin.

I don't mean any harm to Ms. Palin, but it just occurs to me that, like Paris, her current fame and position on Dancing with the Stars owes less to her innate talents or skills and more to her parentage and the lifestyle she engages in. I mean, why else would merely being a single mom qualify her to charge between $15,000 and $30,000 for speeches in favor of abstinence? And I mention this only because, when you get right down to it, the notion that Paris Hilton and Bristol Palin are, on some level, really similar just makes me giggle a bit. And, really, well-done, Bristol!

But now could we go back to paying attention to people who matter for reasons other than who their parents are or who they've had sex with? Please?


* I kid. I never really think about Paris Hilton except, perhaps, when fending off the saleswomen who are hawking her most recent perfume. Honestly, has anyone ever been more inclined to buy a scent because it has Paris Hilton's face on it?

As a side note: I'm picking on Bristol mainly just because the Tea Party folks have been consistently voting for her bad dancing and it's bugging my wife more than a little.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter