Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Convergent evolution

Okay, so, I'll readily admit that I find the new Apple iPad to be- in a word- neat. I'll also readily admit- and my wife will back me up on this one- that I have a weakness for gadgets that go "beep," so my yen for the iPad is hardly surprising.* All that said, I still feel the need to mention something. The other day I happened to learn** that ZAGG has a new case for the iPad. This case- made from aircraft-grade aluminum, contains a hinge for the iPad, high-density padding, and a keyboard. It looks like this:



If you're wondering where you've seen that before, I'll give you a hint- they're called laptops:



Screen? Check! Built-in keyboard? Check! Aluminum case? Check! Congratulations, Zagg! You've successfully reproduced an existing product, only with fewer capabilities!*** And you know what else? I think Zagg knows exactly what they've done:



Or, to quote:

Large, flat base allows for use on a soft or uneven surface such as a lap or on a bed [emphasis added]


I trust my technolust, but every now and then I have to wonder about our collective sanity.


* I should note that as much as I find them neat, I think that they only really make sense as a sort of low-power laptop replacement. They're too heavy, with inadequate battery life, to serve as an e-reader when devices like the Kindle and the Nook are available.

** Specifically, I received a marketing e-mail from ThinkGeek.

*** Also, arguably, for less money but you can get a 13-inch MacBook Pro with a 320 gig hard disk for $1199, whereas an iPad with 64 gigs of storage plus the Zagg case will run you about $800. So, really, if you need that kind of performance, the laptop is more cost-effective.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I type a lot on my IPad. I think Zagg's product would serve as a help and not a hindrance. It protects my investment as well as gives me the options I want for typing and positions. If I want to use the IPad without it, I still can. It is an IPad, not a Macbook so why does this $99 add-on all of a sudden mean you should compare them against each other.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter