Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Many of you may remember when I mentioned last year's Boobquake. If you don't immediately recall, this was an event founded by Jen McCreight of BlagHag as a means of responding to Hojjat ol-eslam Kazem Sediqi's theory that women who dress immodestly* are responsible for earthquakes:

Hojjat ol-eslam Kazem Sediqi, the acting Friday prayer leader in Tehran, said women should stick to strict codes of modesty to protect themselves.

"Many women who do not dress modestly lead young men astray and spread adultery in society which increases earthquakes," he explained.


McCreight's plan was simple:

On Monday, April 26th, I will wear the most cleavage-showing shirt I own. Yes, the one usually reserved for a night on the town. I encourage other female skeptics to join me and embrace the supposed supernatural power of their breasts. Or short shorts, if that's your preferred form of immodesty. With the power of our scandalous bodies combined, we should surely produce an earthquake. If not, I'm sure Sedighi can come up with a rational explanation for why the ground didn't rumble. And if we really get through to him, maybe it'll be one involving plate tectonics.


The call went out, smart women the world over participated, and, as you might have guessed, the evidence does not support the notion that cleavage=earthquakes.

Now, all that being said, last year I also suggested that Boobquake be more than just a one-time stunt, but rather become an annual celebration of critical thinking and the scientific method. And so allow me to encourage all of you to join me and my wife** in celebrating Boobquake this Tuesday the 26th of April. For women I think McCreight's suggestions are great, but for my fellow men allow me to encourage you to celebrate by not being the creepy asshole who breaks out the camera phone. Really, guys: decency and respect are the gifts that keep on giving.

Let's give rationalists and free-thinkers the most awesome holiday ever.


* I should note that the definition of "immodest" is subject to some debate. In Tehran, it's apparently along the lines of, "...showing hair under their headscarves or wearing tight-fitting clothes."

** Yes, she's planning to participate. Granted, I rather expect that JezLil will be the main beneficiary thereof, but that's not the point.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

OpenID sassafrasjunction said...

Hah. I celebrate Boobquake EVERY DAY.

You're welcome, world.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:35:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

As always, Sassafras, you are an example to us all.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jay Livingston said...

I don't know -- the earth moved for me.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 5:03:00 AM  
Blogger LemmusLemmus said...

Wrong hypothesis. Everybody knows the catfish are to blame.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter