Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Friday, July 08, 2011

Just a quick mention...

If you're not sitting there with the live video feed of Atlantis' impending launch open at the same time, there is something wrong with you. Today* for the last time a United States space shuttle will launch. Today we get to watch men and women soar into the sky on a pillar of fire like the gods themselves. This isn't the end of humanity's voyage into space- we still have the Russian launch vehicles, the Chinese, and even Burt Rutan's projects- but I admit I'm sad to see the shuttle retire without a successor U.S. vehicle to replace it.

Make us all proud, Atlantis. This is one for this history books.



UPDATE: Atlantis finishes with a just beautiful launch:



I'm glad the great lady will have such a lovely end to a distinguished career.


* Unless they have to scrub the launch due to weather, but here's hoping they don't.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

OpenID sassafrasjunction said...

I was spoiled growing up in Florida, able to see the launches live so frequently, even if just from the blacktop of the PE field. Vaya con dios, Atlantis. Truly, it's the end of an era.

Friday, July 08, 2011 7:28:00 AM  
Blogger Drek said...

I know exactly what you mean. I watched as many launches as I could when I was a kid. I even remember seeing the Challenger when she was lost. I know all the arguments against them, but I'm going to miss the old girls.

Friday, July 08, 2011 8:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter