Total Drek

Or, the thoughts of several frustrated intellectuals on Sociology, Gaming, Science, Politics, Science Fiction, Religion, and whatever the hell else strikes their fancy. There is absolutely no reason why you should read this blog. None. Seriously. Go hit your back button. It's up in the upper left-hand corner of your browser... it says "Back." Don't say we didn't warn you.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011

What's really amazing is that the guy from Fox News walks on his hind legs, like a man.

Back in college I TAed for an astronomy course.* This was a fun gig since it mostly meant playing with telescopes and explaining really, really cool stuff to the students when they had questions. It also meant having to handle the logistics of picking up and dropping off vans to transport said students but, hey, I was getting paid so no problem. One day, though, I was talking to these two students (who I think may possibly have been stoned. More to the point, I hope they were stoned for reasons that will shortly become self-evident) and one of them asked a question. That question was, and this is a direct quote: "Is that when the constellations enter the Earth's atmosphere?" Not being Wolfgang Pauli I lacked a suitably pithy response and had to settle for the first thing that popped into my head: "Guys, you're going to have to give me just a minute here. Just to ask that question, there has to be so much you don't understand, I don't know where to even begin." Less than diplomatic, but true. Now, if you replace me with Bill Nye, my students with a Fox News interviewer, and put the whole thing on television, the result would pretty much look like this:



I can only assume that by "My side of things" Bill Nye means, "Actual reality", which is of course a strange and unfamiliar place for Fox News.

If you're curious, the actual stuff Nye is trying to talk about is described here.


* Yes, really. What can I say? Sociology was not my first love.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mister Troll said...

The expression on Bill Nye's face was priceless.

(*I* used to be an astronomy TA in college... hmm...)

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:10:00 AM  
OpenID sassafrasjunction said...

The cake/cupcake explanation had me laughing my face off. How can Fox even put "news" in their own moniker?

It reminded me of the time I had students suggest that World War II took place sometime in the 1860s. Where do you even start?!

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 12:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter